Monday, September 25, 2023

PUYB Author Talks: ⭐A Bookish Conversation with 'Tropical Scandal' David Myles Robinson⭐ #Tropical Scandal #interview

 



David Myles Robinson has always had a passion for writing. During the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, while in college, Robinson worked as a freelance writer for several magazines and was a staff writer for a weekly minority newspaper in Pasadena, California. Upon graduating from San Francisco State University, he attended the University of San Francisco School of Law. It was there that he met his wife, Marcia Waldorf. In 1975 the two moved to Honolulu, Hawaii and began practicing law. Robinson became a trial lawyer and Waldorf eventually became a Circuit Court judge.   

Upon retiring in 2010, Robinson completed his first novel, Unplayable Lie. He has since published eight more novels. 

Website: www.davidmylesrobinson.com    

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DMRobinsonWrite   

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DavidMylesRobinson  

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/davidmylesrobinson
 


 

Before you started writing your book, what kind of research did you do to prepare yourself?

There really wasn’t any special research needed. I was a trial attorney in Honolulu for 40 years so I had the necessary experience and resources to write legal thrillers. The idea for Tropical Scandal came from a real-life scandal that rocked the Hawaii judiciary. I took the basic premise of the scandal and let my imagination run with it.


Did you pursue publishers or did you opt to self-pub?

I used a small traditional publisher out of Florida which has published several of my other novels

Did you purposefully choose a distinct month to release your book?  Why?

The publication date was totally up to the publisher.

Did you write your book, then revise or revise as you went?

I will sometimes revise as I go, especially if I find that I’ve written myself into a corner (I don’t use outlines). Usually, however, I revise after a first draft has been completed.

Did you come up with special swag for your book and how are you using it to help get the word out about your book?

For me, marketing is the hardest part of being an author. I’m not interested in spending my life trying to get other people to read my novels, so I try to get a number of good reviews to use on the sites that sell my books and I will do some marketing on Facebook, Instagram, and the former Twitter. I also do a mass email to my “contacts.”

What’s your opinion on giving your book away to sell other copies of your book?

I do it and believe in it.

What are some of the most important things you believe an author should do before their book is released?

Make sure it is properly edited and that those who have read the book at my request think it is well written and a good story. 

What are some of the most important things you believe an author should do after their book is released?

Mostly things I don’t really do, which is to market, market, market.

What kind of pre-promotion did you do before the book came out?

Just some Facebook advance promos.

Do you have a long term plan with your book?

Is hope a long term plan? If so, I hope enough people read the book and are motivated to buy more of my work.

What would you like to say to your readers and fans about your book?

Most of all I thank everyone who has taken the time to read my book and especially those who have liked it (or prior ones) enough to read more of my work. I now have nine published novels, five of which are legal thrillers set in Honolulu. All are stand-alone stories, although there are recurring characters in all of the legal thrillers. Please enjoy and take a few moments to post a review (no matter how short) on whichever site you purchased the book and/or on Goodreads. Independent authors live and die by reviews.

 

Inside the Book

Title: Tropical Scandal
Author: David Myles Robinson
Publisher: Bluewater Press, LLC
Pages: 291
Genre: Legal Thriller/Suspense/Mystery

goodreads add to

When Pancho McMartin, Honolulu’s top criminal defense attorney, takes on the case of Dayton Kalama, a young drug dealer accused of murdering his grandmother (tutu), Pancho is faced with a daunting amount of evidence pointing squarely at Dayton. But as Pancho, together with his private investigator, Drew Tulafono, gradually pull back the layers of deceit, they begin to uncover hints at what is beginning to look like the biggest scandal ever to hit Hawaii’s legal community. This book is pure fiction, but is inspired by true, scandalous events which shook Honolulu’s legal community to its core. 

Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/3p8vwcvf

 


No comments:

Post a Comment