Sunday, July 23, 2023

PUYB Author Talks: ⭐A Bookish Conversation with 'Hush Hush City' Jo Denning⭐ #HushHushCity #interview




Jo Denning is the author of the Saoirse Reilly series. She has spent her career as a behavioral health therapist supporting kids and teens who struggle with addiction. Jo began writing supernatural crime thrillers as a way of processing the traumatic things she has seen and heard. Her characters may be supernatural but their stories, their fear, and their pain are real. So, too, are the triumphs over impossible odds.

When she’s not writing, Jo enjoys baking, drawing, and watching trashy reality TV. She makes her home somewhere in the contiguous United States with her husband, one fluffy cat, and one barely domesticated cat.

Let’s Connect!

Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

 



Before you started writing your book, what kind of research did you do to prepare yourself? 

 

Before beginning to write Hush Hush City, I researched Nordic and Eastern European mythology and folktales about vampires and the undead. I also did a lot of reading about the history of Ukraine and their relationship with Russia.


Did you pursue publishers or did you opt to self-pub? 

 

I always self-publish. It lets me be in control of all aspects of the final product.

 

If self-published, did you hire someone to format the ebook version for you or did you do it yourself?  Can you tell us what that was like?

No, I always format the e-book and print manuscript myself. Honestly, the ebook is pretty simple. There are a lot of great programs that can generate e-books or convert other file types to ebook file types. The print manuscript is the real monster! I have a 30-step or so checklist that I knock out all in one sitting to be sure I don’t forget anything.

If self-published, how did you determine the price?

I  sell exclusively through Amazon. Most of their well-selling books are priced between 3 and 7 USD so I pick a number in that range.

Did you purposefully choose a distinct month to release your book?  Why?

Hush Hush City will be published the Monday of my birthday week. Usually, I don’t pick a particular month but it lined up nicely this time.

How did you choose your cover?

I work with James Egan of Bookfly Design. He is very talented and has tons of experience with cover design. Hush Hush City has some winter vibe monsters and an overarching theme of lies and secrets. I already had in mind some major elements, like the blue colors, the embers/frost vibe, and Reilly’s pose. James is great about including my ideas but polishing them with his own expertise.

Did you write your book, then revise or revise as you went?

I revise as I complete each chapter and then revise several more times when I’m done writing. Some experts say write it all first because revising gets in the way. I disagree. Sometimes I’m not in the right place to write new content but I can still devote time to the book by editing and revising. The revision process has also sparked ideas for new content to write.

Did you come up with special swag for your book and how are you using it to help get the word out about your book? 

No. I spent time and money on swag for the first book but it didn’t really pay off. I encourage any authors with a (relatively) small fanbase to focus on writing more books instead of swag.

What’s your opinion on giving your book away to sell other copies of your book?

I give away the first book in the Saoirse Reilly series, Dead Blood City, to anyone that subscribes to my mailing list at JoDenning.com. Subscribers also get a collection of several short stories that act as a low-key prequel to the main series. I like to give readers a taste of the series in the hopes that they’ll read Hush Hush City and my other upcoming books.

What are some of the most important things you believe an author should do before their book is released?

Edit your ass off. Set up a book tour. Remind your mailing list and social media followers. Celebrate!

What are some of the most important things you believe an author should do after their book is released?

Engage with your book tour and take the week off from other writing projects.

What kind of pre-promotion did you do before the book came out?

I sent out regular updates and excerpts to my mailing list. I also posted a few excerpt videos on TikTok. 

Do you have a long term plan with your book?

The Saoirse Reilly series will have a total of eight books so my plan is to keep writing that next book!

What would you like to say to your readers and fans about your book?

I’ve told readers and fans everything I need to in the book! Pick up a copy and check it out for yourself. And I always love hearing your thoughts! Leave a review on Amazon or Goodreads or message me any time.


 

Inside the Book

Title: Hush Hush City
Author: Jo Denning
Publisher: Leabhar & Fola Publishing House
Pages: 330
Genre: Dark Urban Fantasy Romance

Cruel Prince meets Law & Order in Hush Hush City, the thrilling sequel to Dead Blood City and second installment in the Saoirse Reilly series! Saoirse Reilly, police detective and wayward psychic, is still reeling from the events of Dead Blood City. Her lies are piling up but there’s no time to deal. She and her loved ones are in danger once again. While investigating the murder of a Boston blueblood, Reilly is drawn into a supernatural power struggle centuries in the making. 

Ancient monsters are prowling the streets and Domenico Alderisi, newly installed vrykolakas master, needs Reilly’s help securing his territory – which just so happens to be her hometown. Alderisi, once her enemy, may be the only one who can save the city. But he has his own agenda and a taste for Reilly’s blood. The only way for Reilly to protect all she holds dear may be to rely on her two-faced teacher, Dr. Emrys Somerled. The criminal psychologist and occult expert is something more than human. If anyone can take on monsters, it’s him. And he’d like to get closer to Reilly than ever before. There’s just one problem. Somerled is keeping secrets, too, and there’s nothing more dangerous. After all…

Stepping out of the silence is scary but secrets can kill.

Will Reilly escape the web of death and deception?

Find out in this urban fantasy meets gritty noir detective novel featuring imperfect heroes and slow burn dark romance with beautiful monsters who can’t be trusted.

Amazon: https://amzn.to/41Z1UUq






 


No comments:

Post a Comment