Friday, June 30, 2023

PUYB Author Talks: ⭐A Bookish Conversation with 'Fateful Connections' Karen Charles⭐ #FatefulConnections #interview

 



Karen Charles is a children’s book author and educator. She lives with her husband on a beautiful bay in Washington State. Her latest book is the thriller, Fateful Connections.

Website: https://karenrabe18.wixsite.com/my-site-2

Twitter: https://twitter.com/karenra24229683

 



Before you started writing your book, what kind of research did you do to prepare yourself?

Since it is based on the events of 9/11, I had to go back and read the timeline of events.  I did detailed research on the settings, even though I had been there myself.  There are some crimes committed that I had to research as to how they could have been done and how the police would deal with them.  I also had to do research on the drug cartels of Mexico.

Did you pursue publishers or did you opt to self-pub?

I opted to self-publish, giving me freedom to publish at any time and keep all the rights to my books.

If self-published, did you hire someone to format the ebook version for you or did you do it yourself?  Can you tell us what that was like?

I had the publisher professionally edit the book, format the eBook, and worked with them on cover ideas.

If self-published, how did you determine the price?

The publisher gave me a range for the price so the picked the price in the middle.

If published by a publisher, what was your deciding factor in going with them?

The deciding factor in going with my publisher was a referral from another author.

Did you purposefully choose a distinct month to release your book?  Why?

I wanted my book to come out before the fourth of July.  It reminds us of our freedom and patriotism.

How did you choose your cover?

Being a thriller, I wanted it to be dramatic and colorful.  A publishing company has asked permission to use my cover in their advertising. 

Did you write your book, then revise or revise as you went?

I revised each chapter after I wrote it.

What’s your opinion on giving your book away to sell other copies of your book?

I am happy to give my book away to sell other copies.

What are three of the most important things you believe an author should do before their book is released?

  1.  Form a street team, friends and collaborators who will promote the book on their own platforms.
  2. Build a website and mailing list.
  3. Get reviews early.

What are three of the most important things you believe an author should do after their book is released?

  1. Virtual launch on social media.
  2. Virtual launch on your website.
  3. Guest-posting on other people’s blogs.

What kind of pre-promotion did you do before the book came out?

  1. Made a website, set up a blog.
  2. Facebook Page
  3. Free book giveaways.
  4. Twitter 

Do you have a long term plan with your book?

Yes, this is not just a few months and on to another book.

What would you like to say to your readers and fans about your book?

I am so glad you are reading “Fateful Connections.”  I know you will have a delightful adventure.  When I wrote it, I fell in love with the characters and wanted to know what happened to them.  Even though they had devastating, traumatic experiences, I gave them redemption in the end.

 

Inside the Book

Fateful Connections tells the story of four people brought together by the tragic events of 9/11 in the United States. These four individuals were attending a conference in Seattle, Washington, and found it nearly impossible to make it back to their homes, which were scattered across the country. They decide to rent a car and drive together, as they cannot get any flights home. As rental cars are also impossible to come upon, they find a friend who has access to a repossessed car, which he is willing to rent out. Unbeknownst to the friends, the rightful owner of the car wants his car back, and as they find out, hidden inside the car are drugs and guns. What ensues is a dangerous journey which impacts the four friends’ lives forever. The story follows them on their harrowing journey home, then one and two years later as they meet up for an annual reunion. 

The strengths of this story are the easy-to-read narrative and compelling plot. The author introduces four intriguing main characters, as well as a number of antagonists, who hunt down the friends and engage in dangerous and illegal plans to not only recapture their guns and drugs, but also kill the friends so there are no witnesses to their illegal activities. The reader is instantly drawn into the storyline, and moves along with the characters as they experience fear, joy, love, and relief. The plot is compelling, and the reader cannot help but become invested in the lives of these four main characters.

Amazon: https://amzn.to/41WDECT


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment