Wednesday, June 15, 2022

⭐A Bookish Conversation with 'Reversal of Fortune' F.M. Meredith⭐ @marilynmeredith #ReversalofFortune #interview

 



F.M. Meredith
, also known as Marilyn Meredith, has had 48 books published as well as two short stories, most are mysteries, but also a few Christian horror, a roman with supernatural elements, and a cookbook. She’s taught writing in many venues including for Writers Digest and many conferences. She lives in the foothills of the Sierra with her husband.

Her latest book is the mystery, Reversal of Fortune.

You can visit her website at http://fictionforyou.com/ or her blog at https://marilynmeredith.blogspot.com. Connect with her on Twitter and Facebook.




Before you started writing your book, what kind of research did you do to prepare yourself?

For this particular book, I researched modern day fortune tellers including how much people were willing to pay them. I had to find out a bit about real estate in Santa Barbara.

In all of the Rocky Bluff P.D. mysteries there is also a certain amount of police work I have to find out about.

Did you pursue publishers or did you opt to self-pub?

Over the years this series has been published by many different publishers. Finally, one of my friends who is an editor and publisher convinced me I should be doing this on my own.

If self-published, did you hire someone to format the ebook version for you or did you do it yourself?  Can you tell us what that was like?

This same friend offered to re-edit and format all the books in the series. It didn’t take me any time at all to take her up on her offer.

If self-published, how did you determine the price?

Together, my editor, and now the one who has done the publishing work, and myself decided upon the price.

If published by a publisher, what was your deciding factor in going with them?

In the past, the later publishers of this series were people I met at writing conferences and became friends.

Did you purposefully choose a distinct month to release your book? 

No, each book in the series has come out when it was done, one a year.

How did you choose your cover?

We decided to make the covers in this series all have the same design, only changing the title and the main color. The cover work was done by my editor/publisher’s husband.

Did you write your book, then revise or revise as you went?

I wrote and revised as I went along, but when it was done it was re-edited by me, my editor, and a reader who read for continuity and picked up on a few errors along the way. Then it had a final edit first by me, then my editor/publisher.

Did you come up with special swag for your book and how are you using it to help get the word out about your book?

Since we haven’t been able to do book signings or appearances for such a long time, I haven’t done any of that. I do have a list of the titles in this series printed out to give to anyone who is interested and I always have business cards to give out.

Did you consider making or hiring someone to make a book trailer for your book?  If so, what’s the link?

www.PumpUpYourBook.com

A trailer was made for this book by Pump Up Your Book and here’s the link:

 https://youtu.be/ECLavafrAWg

What’s your opinion on giving your book away to sell other copies of your book?

I’ve done several freebies of other books in this series and it does work. I would never do freebies of the latest book.

What are three of the most important things you believe an author should do before their book is released?

Of course, make sure it’s edited as best you can possibly make it. And of course, prepare a plan for promotion, like the book tour I’m on now. Book tours are wonderful because different readers learn about your book.

If possible, plan a book launch. There are various places you can do them. One of my most successful one was at a brand new bed and breakfast place located near one of the settings in the book. A luncheon was planned, the attendees bought tickets ahead of time, and I gave a short talk about the book.

I did another at our local Inn. We served punch and a cake decorated like the cover of the book. Also must successful.

Of course, these events took planning ahead of the book’s release.

I love doing in-person events, and hopefully there will be more available as time goes one.

What are three of the most important things you believe an author should do after their book is released?

  1. Be active on social media.
  2. Plan more in-person events. Contact bookstores to see if you can do a signing—but don’t just do bookstores—I’ve had great signings at coffee shops, gift shops, and even a local candy store. Libraries often are happy to host an author who gives a talk about his/her book or tips on writing and publishing.  I’ve also give talks and sold my books at our local art gallery.
  3. Continue to be active on Facebook and other social media. Write about what is going on in your life and interesting tidbits about your book.

What kind of pre-promotion did you do before the book came out?  

I do have a newsletter and I always let my readers know what I’m working on and when I have a new book.

And of course, I always write about what’s going on in my life on Facebook, including my writing and my books.

Do you have a long term plan with your book?

Of course I’ll continue to talk about this book and others in the series.

What would you like to say to your readers and fans about your book?

This is the last in the series. I made the decision as police work has advanced so much since I first started writing, and though I have many sources for research, I decided it was time to let the Rocky Bluff P.D. advance without my help. I tied up some loose ends concerning characters from other books in the series, and I believe readers can come to satisfactory conclusions about everyone’s future lives. Believe me, they do live on in my imagination and I’m guessing they will in yours too.

Of course, my hopes are that you will want to read other books in the series.

F. M. Meredith

 

Inside the Book

Title: REVERSAL OF FORTUNE
Author: F.M. Meredith
Publisher: 31 Months LLC
Pages: 190
Genre: Mystery

Book Blurb:

A fortune teller is murdered in the small beach town of Rocky Bluff, California. The RBPD’s investigation uncovers several suspects—all with motives and opportunity. But which one killed her?

The body of a suspect is discovered on the fortune teller’s property. Clearly, the two killings are related, but how? Who is responsible?

Meanwhile, the mayor’s daughter, Kayla, whose best friend is Detective Doug Milligan’s daughter, is upset because her mother’s sister wants her to leave Rocky Bluff to live with her in Los Angeles. Can her friends convince Kayla’s aunt to leave her there with her father?

Book Information

Release Date: April 8, 2022

Publisher: 31 Months LLC;

Soft Cover: ASIN: B09XLQCNZB; 190 pages; $12.99; E-Book, $2.99

Amazon: https://amzn.to/3EA50Eo

 



1 comment: